Saturday, February 9, 2008

7 Minutes of X-Men


Here's a link to the final X-Men movie. I hate to dislike this, because I like Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. They are both great actors - I just wish that the movie didn't fall apart in the end.

This chunk of film highlights some of the potential of the material. In better hands - or in the hands of a better editor - it could have become something much more than it was. Too many irreconcileable elements. If it were a student's paper in front of me, I would tell them that the scope is too great - that merely refocusing on a handful of characters instead of a universe of characters would resolve so much, and make the movie so much greater. The second movie had its problems, but the focus on Wolverine made the plot much more unified and sensible.

No comments: